1/8/08

What Have I Been Missing Out On?

I just wanted to put up a link to this. It's John's aunt who lives in LR. She's gotta be the smartest and most well traveled woman I know. We recently went to her mother's funeral at this same church. I was not too keen on the unfamiliar hymns, but it was truly a unique experience for this ex-baptist girl to sit through such a liturgical service.

J-roo posted about Advent and a few other things I'm not too familiar with back before Christmas. In fact, I'm not sure I had even heard that word before I went to college. I'm beginning to feel quite jipped. Apparently there's a whole 'nother side to Christianity, which I've always been told is "liberal," worth checking out. I feel like I just walked behind one of those stand-up cardboard movie posters and actually found another picture instead of blank brown canvas.

The thing is, I really love the church we are at, and I'm not sure how to go about investigating more of this previously unknown terrain. I recently picked up The Business of Heaven, and while I'm not usually a fan of collected readings by a certain author, (I rather like having the entire context, or else finding my own passages on which to meditate) the priest who compiled the book had some interesting ideas about the Christian calendar; (again, surprise -- there's more to it than Easter and Christmas!) so perhaps I can learn some things here. Anyone else have any ideas?

P.S. Why in the name of all that is good did we switch out wine for grape juice? When we took communion at Christ Church I was thoroughly struck by the idea that when it comes to a sacred holy observance of Jesus' sacrifice, bitter is better.

1 comment:

Doubtful Muse said...

I think different religious practices are fascinating, particularly since I started out as a Methodist, converted to Catholicism when I got married, and now lean toward the Episcopal church as a kind of happy medium (all the tradition without most of the stuff I have problems with). It's been a couple of years since I read it (wish I'd bought it instead of getting it from the library), but "Whitebread Protestants: Food and Religion in American Culture" by Daniel Sack had an interesting section on wine in Holy Communion. If I recall correctly, the Welch grape juice guy worked out a way to pasteurise it (preventing fermentation) and it was taken up strongly by the Temperance movement in the late 19th century. Which, of course, makes sense when you consider that it would have been next to impossible to preserve grape juice without fermenting, otherwise.

I hope you'll post more on your investigations. There's always more to learn!