7/11/08

For my Brother and his Buddy

I guess I just wanted to put something positive on the internet for Matt Jones. There's still a good guy inside here somewhere, and we're praying he finds his way out. It's such a dangerous combination, fame, money and fans. And he's just a baby. So young to be thrown into such a crazy life with few role models and too many temptations. "Anything you want Dude," that's what they tell him he can have. Anything, except mercy.

I'm not saying the kid gets off scot free. I just don't want to see him vilified and dehumanized. Matt is one of my brother's best friends. And I know how much Jonathan is hurting for him right now.

There's so much more to be said here. I wanna tell all kids, people and humans to never take that first hit. It's just not worth it. Once you grab that snake, you can't let go without getting bit. But for now, I think this guy says it a bit more poetically:

Lucifer

from a simple plant that was long growing there
from the king of the world to your worst nightmare
got you an old recipe and some chemicals to stir
it might have felt just like God once but now it's lucifer

oh to be clean
and you know the thing is sleeping a scratch below your skin
and God knows if you wake it up you gotta calm it down again
and I wonder what it felt like when the waters flooded in
and it got too hard to swim

it feels just like a hunger but you cannot feed the thing
it always wants a new song that you can't really sing
it never shows you the whole truth till the poison's leaking through
what you thought you were doing well now it's doing you

and it could take a few years to dig out of this mine
what with a shaft so deep and dark it might take a lifetime
the choices they're like diamonds you found down there one night
you gotta grab the one that's your true self and bring it to the light

4 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks Janna, for saying something about Matt. He is a good kid and we love him and are praying for him, that God will somehow work in his life.

Greg said...

Not sure what to say except... word. I don't know Matt Jones nor have I followed the situation much, but have learned over the past few years that the falls of the high and mighty are moments to show grace and sincere sympathy.

I used to fall into the 'tsk, tsk' crowd but moments of our own humanity and weakness tend to tear our grips to pride and lend a new perspective on much of life.

Well said.

Amber said...

Thank you, Janna. Look at his sweet face. We love mj, and all i keep thinking is that if our secrets were on the news, Oh My! or I've done all that and more, but I never got caught and I'm not 12 feet tall. Have Mercy is right.

Seth said...

Thanks, Janna. As you know, the supporters feel almost as lonesome as MJ. We're praying too.