11/4/08

Blog Suicide

Did I not tell you that I'm not like that girl,
the one who gives it all away? -- Avril Lavigne


This is what I hope to do later today, provided:

a) my husband finds time away from work to watch the kids
b) same husband doesn't get stuck in line until the polls close since he decided to wait until after work to vote.
c) I find someone else to watch the kids.

And yes, my vote will be for John McCain. I'm guessing at least half of you disagree with me now, and it kinda makes me wonder why I would want to confess such a thing. (Am I showing even worse judgment than when I told you the truth about Sufjan?) The best answer I've come up with is this: I can.

I can vote. And I can vote for whomever I desire, without fear.

About a month ago, I had a torturous (as defined by a middle class, white, female, American) afternoon at the DMV getting a new driver's license and registering to vote. But it was worth it. I am determined not to take my freedoms for granted. And if we can't agree on a candidate, I hope we can agree on that.

The other thing I'd like to encourage is some prayer, for our country, and the next president. Lord knows we're gonna need it either way.


p.s. Interpret the quote any way you wish -- I just thought it was funny. And deep down, don't we all wanna be like Avril, just a little?

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

It'll take more than that to commit blog suicide...

I do pray that you get your chance to get away and vote today, and I rejoice with you that we have the freedom to do so.

tamsaunt said...

I agree that a lot of prayer is called for. Also, while I may not agree with the way you voted, to paraphrase Voltaire, "I will defend to the death your right to vote the way you believe."

samuel said...

I am with you.

Rachel said...

Wow. I am apparently farther behind in reading your blog than I thought. The election seems like such a long time ago now!