3/9/09

Benjamin Bailey Barber

Benjamin's name was picked out soon after I found out I was pregnant. It's one of those solid, biblical names, but I don't even know what it means except that he was Joseph's closest brother. We just liked the sound of it and wanted to honor John's Dad who lost a brother with the same name. 

Bailey comes from George Bailey, Jimmy Stewart's character in It's a Wonderful Life, which is one of mine and my Dad's favorite movies. It was decided near the end of my pregnancy, mainly because we're suckers for alliteration and rhythm. We never could agree on a girl name but didn't worry too much because we felt sure he was a boy.

When Benjamin was born, his dark hair was thin and looked more like the receding hair line of an older man, than the growing one of a newborn. In fact, he had a very old man look about him, especially when viewed from the backside without his diaper.

Little Benji is two years old today, and a total ball of energy. His personality is still pretty laid back, but we rarely see any of those old man signs anymore. His latest trick is learning to jump. He can't quite get both feet to leave the ground at the same time, but he sure has a blast trying.

I'm sad that my baby is no longer a baby, but one thing I've learned from my other two kids is that the more they become their own person, the more there is to love about them. So here's to you little Bubs. May all your jumps bring laughter, may the landings be smooth as your skin, and may your name always be loved. Happy 2nd Birthday, Benjamin! Love, Mommy

 

10 comments:

Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

Happy birthday to your baby! :) Sam wasn't much older than this when we first met y'all! So hard to believe.

the hamster said...

i don't even know this kid, but i like him!

blessings on benjamin's long and fruitful and joy-filled life. blessings on john and janna for giving him to us. blessings on sam and lani for showing him the right way (and sometimes a bit of the wrong way, too, as good siblings do).

praise is on the lips of the kids. thanks, benjamin, for reminding us to have fun trying to get both feet off the floor. i forget sometimes.

Lisa said...

Benjamin means 'son of my right hand'. Both Ford and I have brothers named Benjamin and both were born on August 21st. Isn't that weird?

Janna said...

--Thanks Carrie!

--Kevin, I do believe you two would be kindred spirits; the boy LOVES animals.

--Lisa, cool. Thanks!

the hamster said...

i do like animals. sometimes i like them deep fried.

tamsaunt said...

Benjamin as a name for male children goes back a good way in Nene's family. In addition to our brother Benjamin, there was our Uncle Benjamin Beasley Jr(Nene's baby brother), and her father, Benjamin Beasley,Sr. so Happy Birthday Benjamin the Fourth, long may you reign!

Teela said...

Benji is the apple of our eye (well..I guess one of the 3 apples). He's a ball of energy and I adore him! I LOVE BENJI SUGARS!

Doubtful Muse said...

Late, but not forgotten. Happy birthday Benjamin Bailey Barber!

Tam

tamsaunt said...

How could I forget the other Benjamin in our family, Paul & Kay's son, Benjamin. Now all grown up, a Marine member of a Seal team presently deployed in Afghanistan.

Rachel said...

Wow, I can't believe he's already TWO!!!