10/20/09

Nothin' Nothin' Nothin' -- Nothin' At All

My friends at the Rabbit Room posted a new piece of mine yesterday, and ever since I saw it up there, I've been tempted to distance myself from it. I'm worried someone will misunderstand me and think I'm either adding to, or taking away from, the gospel. I'm also worried about the exact opposite reaction from someone struggling in hurt or depression who might think I was simply saying put on some happy music and get over it.

Or at the very least, I just want to take out the two lines about therapy and medication. Even though I know how helpful they have been for me and would not hesitate to recommend either to someone else, I don't like the idea of being labeled this way and wish I could somehow eliminate all the preconceived notions people have about mental health -- especially those in the faith community.

But the logical part of my brain tells me these concerns are a natural reaction to taking risks and being vulnerable. And the best part of my heart says freedom comes from truth, which is what I've tried to tell.

2 comments:

Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

I really enjoyed and connected with your post on the Rabbit Room site . . . and I'm on medication. :) That's good stuff, Janna.

Jenny said...

As I've said before, you are Janna the Brave. You give me and others courage when you are vulnerable. Thank you for taking a risk and then being honest again about your own feelings about taking the risk. I so identify with the feelings of ambivalence after putting myself out there. Working on doing that more. Thanks for your example.