2/17/10

Two Quick Funnies

I have two boys. (And one girl, but she's not a part of this particular post) One is ten and a half, the other is almost three. They both give me a lot to smile about, like the way the oldest, Sam, still lets me kiss his cheek (only) when he hugs me at bedtime, and the way the youngest, Benjamin, will take my chin in his hand while he reshapes my windblown bangs with the fingers of his other hand. And sometimes they even make me laugh out loud.

The other day I was going through the massive paper pile on the homework desk and found an unfinished paper by Sam. I asked him about it and he said it was old and he didn't need it any more. Then I read it, and decided it was definitely worth keeping in one of the hang-on-to-memorabilia bags I have shoved in various drawers and closets around here. This is what it said:

“You're not gonna believe this!”

“I'm not gonna believe what?”

“Just come over here!” So I ran over to the spot where my best friend Preston was standing, where I saw what I wasn't gonna believe.

It was, undoubtedly, a portal. It was the most extraordinary thing I had ever seen.

And that's where it ends. I love that he imagines finding gateways to other worlds, and I love that he separated the word undoubtedly with commas.

Benjamin has been potty training for the past couple of months, and he's finally getting the hang of it. The other  night we were getting pajamas on, so I told him to go use the bathroom. He went and peed, then escaped to his bedroom to play before I could catch him to put on his diaper. And I guess that free feeling helped him recognize something new. All of a sudden, from the kitchen I heard:

"Mo - om - myyy! Can I go poop in da potty, whu-eel quick, befoa bedtime?"

Yes, son, please do.

3 comments:

Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

Haha! Great stories. And Sam's is definitely a keeper.

Aaron Thomae said...

I enjoyed reading your blog, please read mine and let me know what you think!

bestvacationdestinations.blogspot.com/

Keep up the good work!

snaphappee said...

Hi! I just ran across your blog by clicking the "next blog" button on Blogger. I'm so glad I did! I have enjoyed reading your posts. This one made me laugh out loud because I have a relatively recently potty trained boy.

If you're interested, you might be amused by our own "potty humor". http://scrivnerburg365.blogspot.com/2009/02/day-104.html