1/16/11

Disclaimers, caveats, and excuses aside

I have been advised to stop taking myself so seriously and just do what I can, to stop expecting perfection with every thing I do. I'm trying to take that advice to heart, but it's a scary thing sharing this new side of myself. I always thought that I was a pretty transparent writer, but adding poetry feels like I'm upping the ante somehow. Might have something to do with studying Emily Dickinson as a junior in high school, and her particular definition of poetry which I more a less adopted as a pretty darn good standard.

I was able to work on my poem for a couple of hours on Saturday too, so I came up with a skeleton of sorts, then laid it down until tonight. Spent the last twenty minutes tweaking, and now I've just posted it here. My original thought with this project was to take ideas from your comments every Monday. I'm not so sure that's going to work out as easily as I first pictured so I'm giving myself the freedom to break that rule. However, there is an allusion to one of my daughter's suggestions which I had posted on facebook a couple of weeks ago. I guess her idea stuck a little. Feel free to toss me more bones as you think of them, and I will chew on them as I can. Also, I'm not sure about sticking with having two separate sites to maintain. That might start getting on my nerves, or yours. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Phil Breedlove said...

I just saw this and thought you might find it interesting/inspirational.

--Phil

Phil Breedlove said...

Doh! Forgot to post the link:

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/01/19/be-a-man-read-a-poem/

--Phil