7/19/12

Oh, the places I'm looking to go...


In 1998, I earned a college degree. It was in Secondary Education with an emphasis in English. After graduation, I promptly went to work for a non-profit organization helping at-risk youth. A year later, I gave birth to our first baby. Since then I've worked a few part-time jobs but my main role has been caring for my kids. In one month however, everything will change. All three of my children will be in school. Five days a week, seven hours a day. So, I'm looking for a job.

I can write. I can edit. I can answer the phone and organize things. I know how to use a computer and get along with people. I know how to drive, and I can even dress like a professional. I'm not sure I'm ready for a full-time position though, and the thought of teaching public high school (like I was trained to do) is a bit intimidating after all this time. I just want to use my brain and my gifts and earn more than a high-schooler -- and still be home when my kids get off the bus. Is that too much to ask?

I don't think it is, but this job searching thing has not been fun so far. And that's where I'm at tonight.

Do you wanna hire me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone would love to hire someone with as much passion as u

Leanne said...

Janna! Dear friend. I was in in this same spot a year ago, and it is hard on a lot of levels. I started feeling like an identity crisis was coming on. My main interest was (and still is) being there for my family, but I wanted to have some meaningful work to help contribute financially and to "prove myself" in a sense. (I have some pitiful stories of failed attempts to get work.) The part time school job I got is great, and an answer to prayer, and a confidence booster, as I had started thinking no one would ever hire me for anything. It doesn't make a ton of money, but the work (for me) is very enjoyable. And the hours are perfect. Have you looked into being an aide at a school?