3/7/16

Two Out of Three Ain't Bad

I haven't posted much lately because my writing efforts have been focused elsewhere. The good news is that this effort has paid off in other ways, the first of which is pretty exciting. A story that I wrote is now published in this book of essays. This is my first time to be published in print, like with ink, and real paper, so I'm kinda pumped. It's also a privilege to be part of a book with these writer friends that I've looked up to for so long. I haven't got my copy yet, but you can buy one here if you want. I'm in Volume Four.

The second thing I wanted to point your attention to is this little website. I've been editing it with a friend for a year now, and we've garnered a bit of a following. If you're interested in reading what I've posted there, you can follow this link. I'm proud of this site, and I think the work I've put in helping other writers has made me a better one myself.

The last bit of news is not so good. In January I applied for grad school at UT. The application process was no small task. I had to take the GRE, and submit two lengthy writing samples, one of which required me to do research. Ugh. It was difficult. I also had to get three friends to recommend me for the program. It was a two year degree, a Master in Fine Arts, but it looks like I won't be getting that after all. This morning I got an email saying my admission was denied. Rejection. It hurts, I won't lie. But hopefully this will motivate me to get back to work on my book.

The truth is I don't really need the degree. I wasn't looking to be a teacher or go on to get a PHD. I just wanted an academic setting that would force me to work on my writing. I was hoping that getting regular feedback from teachers would improve my writing as well. And I wanted the chance to do college again, without the distraction of looking for love and happily ever after. But no one needs any of that to write a book. I've already got everything I need to do that. I just have to make myself do it. I'm tempted to say it's no small task either, but when I think about it, that's exactly what it is. It's just a whole bunch of them, strung together, day after day, until the big job is done. 

I hope to tell you all about it when that happens, and I hope it happens soon. Thanks for cheering me on. 

No comments: