12/20/16

Sharing Some New Things


It feels a little vulnerable to share all these things with you today, but in the spirit of conquering our fight or flight instincts, I'm going to do it anyway.

The first thing is this, I helped write a song! I shared it on Facebook last month but I forgot to post about it here, for those of you who prefer to avoid the social media circus. I met Jennifer Bast a few years ago at a retreat in Nashville, and we discovered we had mutual friends because she used to live in Knoxville. In fact, she attended the same church I go to now. Amid those coincidences we also found out we have similar taste in music and we've both struggled with depression. Since then we've gotten together for lunch or coffee whenever she comes back to visit Knoxville. I just love Jennifer's singing voice, so I was really pleased when she said she would work on a songwriting project with me last year. I shared one of my poems with her and she agreed that it might work as a song as well, so she took it home and figured out a melody to go along with my words. It was a great learning experience to collaborate with someone like that, and I hope I get the chance to do it again sometime. I don't know if I'll have anymore song ideas, but in the meantime, you can check out this first attempt here.

My second piece of news is about a friend who interviewed me for her podcast a couple of weeks ago. Katie Ward went to high school in central Florida with my husband, then she moved out to Los Angeles to become an actor. Last month Katie sent me a message telling me about her podcast, The Enthusiasm Enthusiast, after she'd read some things I've written about depression. She asked me to come on her show and talk about how my faith has influenced those experiences, and I was hesitant at first, but since her podcast is all about what women are passionate about, I decided to go for it. It was a bit nerve wracking to just talk, without being able to edit and rewrite, but Katie was very professional and she made the whole process very smooth. She just posted our conversation today, so if you're interested you can find the episode at her Itunes website, here.

My last bit of news is that I'm going to be reading some of my work at an event in January. Foundling House, the website I co-edit with Adam Whipple, is hosting a mid-winter feast, complete with stellar music, delicious food, and great stories. Echo Hill will be held at Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, on January 27, 2017. Click here to purchase your tickets for a truly enchanted evening.

That's all the news I have for today, friends. Thanks so much for reading along and clicking those links. I hope your coming week is filled with lots of love and peace. Let's take good care of each other out there. Merry Xmas!!

1 comment:

Helena Aman said...

Janna, you're a rock star!